The Glorious Goofy Gilbank Gang IS ABOUT TO GET MORE GLORIOUS AND GOOFIER!!!

We are a family of five, plus three God Children. We also have a Shih Tzu dog. We are Chris, Caroline, Justin, Ashleigh and Harvey.
Our God children are Daniel, Lou
and George .

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

We're ready and waiting







*Back packs - check

*New shoes - check, thanks Grandma (my mom)

*New undies & socks - check, thanks Grandma (my mom)

*A couple new outifts (and pj's just for fun) - check, thanks Grandma (my mom)

*Lunch bags - check

*Pencil cases - check

*New Water bottles - check - but don't tell J&A yet because they'll find that out on the first day of school :0)

*Gym shoes - check

*Binder & paper for Daddy (Chris) - check, yes he's going back to school as well ;0)

I'm sure I am missing some things, but that gives you an idea of what we've been up to.


After homeschooling for three years and only having to buy the kids a new set of markers, this year, we have taken part in getting ready for "back to school" like most people. We never had to worry about things like back packs, inside shoes, outside shoes, packing lunches every day, etc. It has been exciting though. On Monday, the four of us went to the school to register Justin and Ashleigh. I was happy that Chris got to come too, so he could see the school and meet the principal.

I feel like we are ready and now waiting for school to begin. Sometimes it is hard to wait, but I'd rather feel ready rather than frazzled and not prepared. Chris has been dragging us out of bed earlier than usual these past couple of weeks, making it a gradual change. I thought he was crazy at first, but the more time we have to practice routine, the smoother it should go ( I hope). (Justin was actually sound asleep at 9:15pm the other night. Ashleigh is falling asleep sooner too).

I have 2 evening shifts left (5pm,10:30) at work this week and then once the kids are settled in their new routine, I'll go to day shift. I am looking forward to earlier nights.

I mentioned that Chris is going back to school. He starts September 20th and he'll be away in Calgary for 12 weeks. It'll be hard I am sure, but having the kids in school (as opposed to home schooling) and interacting with people at work should help. I had some hard weeks when he had to for away for work before, but having the kids 24/7 and not working and not arranging play dates contributed to the loneliness I'm sure. It's a sacrifice that our family is having to do and we have been very blessed having him home so much with his current job.

I've felt a little creative lately. I took almost everything off the walls in the spring when we were doing renos and also thought we'd be moving, so it's been fun re-decorating in a way.

Chris put hooks up for Justin and Ashleigh's back packs. I think it turned out to be a good place for them. I really wanted them out of the way at first, where we hang our coats on the wall on the way down to the basement, but that's overflowing as it is and not easily accessible for the kids. They can barely hang their coats up. I've been sneaking a sandwich in their backpacks this week, so they can practice. Ashleigh wants me to put something else in today, so I'll have to think of something. Maybe home made cookies?


2 comments:

Michelle said...

Caroline, It will be a change indeed although remember nothing is forever:)You have done an amazing job thus far and will continue to do so.Remember to take care of yourself even with Chris gone. Just an idea in their backpack is a little note they find when they eat their lunch or make a little gift certificate for a hug snuggle or fresh baked cookies etc when they get home after school. Use those creative juices you got flowing.

Jocelyn Lord said...

Wo0wzers that will be a big change indeed. Hope the children are enjoying school! Sorry I haven't posted a comment in awhile. I have not been reading blogs for what feels like forever and I have a lot of catching up to do :0)