The Glorious Goofy Gilbank Gang IS ABOUT TO GET MORE GLORIOUS AND GOOFIER!!!

We are a family of five, plus three God Children. We also have a Shih Tzu dog. We are Chris, Caroline, Justin, Ashleigh and Harvey.
Our God children are Daniel, Lou
and George .

Saturday, June 05, 2010

My Sanctuary


Here are some pictures of what I call "My Sanctuary":

This is my little corner of the back yard. I fought for this path of grass when we put the gravel in. It is now mostly weeds. No, that's not the word I am looking for. They are "wild-flowers" but I told Chris not to chop them down. I see beauty in them. :0)

See?

View from other side. You can see my bird bath, lilac bush (which produced a few more lilacs this year), dahlia in brown pot from my friend Diana (that is recovering from a horrible wind storm during it's ride up here from the lower mainland in the back of a truck!), a chair to soak up the sun, oh and that's the composter in the back. I'm not usually motivated to take out the compost, but lately, I see it as an excuse to wander back here and enjoy my little part of the back yard.

My tree that provides some privacy from our neighbors. It was here when we moved in and it may not be pretty, but I like it and have claimed it. Even the kids call it my tree. Chris wanted to take it out and put in an apple tree. I said no. The birds love it and hide in there when they are not eating from the bird feeder.

And me! Ashleigh took this picture. I am crocheting a little hat for her.

Without my hat and sunglasses, and part of my head ;0)

This isn't my corner of the yard, but it is my beautiful hanging basket from my mom. She ordered my sister and I to go out for coffee together and pick out a hanging basket, her treat!

See that tree below my basket? That is Chris' tree. Yes, he has his very own tree too. This one didn't come with the house though, he purchased it and planted it a couple of years ago.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice little sanctuary you've got there. But I'm gonna' have to side with Chris on the weeds. :)

Caroline said...

Well, I suppose I could plant some actual flowers back there, but then I wouldn't have the small patches of grass that I am determined to keep! ;0)

Diana said...

"Weed" is a terribly derogatory politically incorrect term. :)

Unless you plan on taking them out.

Otherwise they are "native species", "indiginous plants", "self-seeders", "volunteers", "wild-flowers" and more :)

Diana said...

PS

I can't see the state of the dahlia really well. Usually they only need staking, and maybe some water if it gets dry up there. If it looks really damaged from the wind, then it might appreciate any soil treats like manure or bone meal you have lying around... but it may recover all on it's own.

The hanging basket has your signature colours in it!

Caroline said...

Thanks Diana,
I changed the wording to "wildflowers". :0)