The day Chris proposed, we were at my parents place. We were 19 years old. We talked to them about getting married and they were not against us getting married, both thought that we should wait a couple of years. Chris was not going to school or working at the time, so they thought having the education under his belt before we got married would be better.
I didn't know that Chris was going to propose that day. We had looked at rings and I thought that it was still on order.
So, with tears already in my eyes (because of the discussion with my parents), under the chandelier at the kitchen table at my parents house, Chris looked down at me, with my engagement ring in hand and said, "will you marry be at a later date?" (meaning in 2 years).
I said "yes".
Now, we'd been dating just over 2 years when he proposed. By early spring 1998, we realized that we wanted to get married that summer, not wait 2 years!
My parents realized that it was just something they'd have to get used to and started to see the positive things of Chris.
So, by February/March, we began pre-marriage counselling. Chris then landed a job roofing in Calgary, AB and in between visits, we completed the pre-marriage counselling. He worked away for 6 months, while I lived and worked in Kamloops. It was hard, but good for us. We really thought about our marriage being the right decision.
August 25th, 1998, we were married and in September, Chris began his 2 year program to be a "Computer Automated Systems Technician". There was a lot of moving while he was in school. During the 2nd year, we moved every 4 months! I am so glad that we experienced that "together" and I could help support him through school, not financially, but by being there, making him proper meals.
So, there you have it, our story of our engagement. 10 years, wow!



No comments:
Post a Comment