I came up with some good ones (including the words "flippin' or freakin' and hot), but didn't think they'd be appropriate. So now that I've told you all that, I should have just titled it that!
FYI: we travelled in a black vehicle with no air conditioning!
Ah well...
Friday June 30th, we packed up the truck (and cargo pod, so handy) and headed for "Hell's Gate". We met up with Chris' brother, Art and his family. Their plan was to go camping near there and we proceeded to go to Little Fort to visit my parents, via the Fraser Canyon.

On the road, near Chilliwak... Ashleigh doesn't look too happy, does she? The windows are down and the wind is blowin' AND she's trying to read a book!
Chris' brother kept passing us in his sweet air conditioned car, but we are the ones who left our air conditioned car at home. (We're trying to sell it, and it was kind of nice that the cargo pod fit most of our luggage. The car would have been more crowded.

Justin taking a nap. He wouldn't let go of the back back!


We are loaded in the air tram and on our way DOWN? Yup, 35ยบ decline. I thought it was a straight across ride and we'd come right back across on be on our merry way! Look down there, it's like a little village! There were souvineer shops, an ice cream parlour (where the 4 of us all had tiger ice cream...mmmmm), panning for gold, a FUDGE factory with 22 flavors, a restaurant, AND we exchanged our receipts for season's passes! What a deal! It was HOT, but well worth the experience. We heard about the air tram before, but never been there. Admission for the kids wwas free, and adults were $15 each. (I'll let you in on a little secret...there is a coupon in the "Entertainment" Book for one adult admission free!)

"Hell's Gate" is the "narrowist" and I beleive the "deepest" part of the Fraser River. We learned some history on our little "4 minute" ride. It is called "Hell's Gate" because an early Explorer, Simon Fraser said this:
"We had to travel where no human being should venture - for surely we have encountered the gates of hell." - Simon Fraser, June, 1808 http://www.hellsgateairtram.com/

Chris took this picture of his brother, Art, holding Justin and me with Ashleigh.

Art, Bianca and Tika

Justin really enjoyed throwing rocks off this bridge. If you look real close, way in the back of the picture, you can see me walking with our niece, Tika. It was a little scary for me (because you can see the rushing water below), but I couldn't say no to her!

The four of us...

This is the view from the bottom.
After we'd seen it all, we headed back up to our vehicles and were back on the road again. We made a few stops for gas and potty breaks and by 8pm arrived at my parents place to this:

It has a fountain! Yes, we ALL went in. (I was going to say we all "jumped" in, but the kids didn't exactly get totally wet, just enough to cool them off).

But why swim in the huge pool when there is this?

We had a good little visit in Little Fort and Barriere. Early Monday Morning (the 3rd), we decided to beat the heat and leave at 6:30am. A much cooler ride.

Here we are in Hope.
That sums up our road trip. Oh I forgot to say, we just had to do some 4X4in' while in Little Fort, so on the way home from church on Sunday (in Barriere), we took a back road home and crossed the Little Fort Ferry. It was hot, but beautiful scenery :0)



4 comments:
Looks like it was lots of fun!
You know, I grew up in Abbotsford and have travelled past Hell's Gate more times than I can count. But do you know that I've never actually stopped there? I really should do that some time! :)
I most defnitly reccomend going. We ALWAYS travel via the Coquihalla, so it was nice to go a different way and make a memory too. (Coquihalla would have been cooler though! Higher elevation!, but like I said, seeing Hell's Gate was amazing).
your trip sound like fun (despite the heat) Wish we could have been going up there too instead of painting! Zachary has asked every day this week to go to Barriere. He sure loves it there!
~Shilo
I would have been much too afraid to cross on the tram! Natasha would definately be too afraid as well. All the power to you guys. You are much braver than I!!!! Looks like fun though.
Post a Comment